Consulting and Appraisal Services
From 1992 – 2014, Mark Weston and Wayne Hunsperger were co-owners of Hunsperger & Weston, Ltd., a Colorado corporation. The firm specialized in valuation of non-residential real estate and provided related litigation support. Consulting and appraisal services were provided to numerous clients in more than 20 states, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica and Nicaragua. In 2014, Mark incorporated Mark S. Weston, Ltd. in Colorado.
I continue to offer real estate consulting and real estate appraisal services, including expert testimony. Complex valuation assignments frequently involve issues requiring a multi-disciplinary approach. Working with other experts in fields such as law, engineering, landscape architecture, accounting, archaeology, agriculture and natural resource management, I enjoy providing creative solutions to challenging valuation or land use problems. In 2016, after accepting a position with the Colorado Division of Real Estate managing its conservation easement tax credit program, I ceased offering appraisal and appraisal review services in the State of Colorado.
I advise my clients as they consider options and carry out plans. When appropriate, I prepare written appraisal reports including my opinions of the market values of my clients’ real estate holdings.
My clients use these reports in a variety of ways:
- in support of outright charitable donations or bargain sales of partial interests, particularly qualified conservation contributions, in their properties – recipients of these interests are charities or units of government;
- to assist in family and estate planning;
- in support of estate tax returns; and
- in connection with eminent domain (condemnation) matters.
I have testified as an expert in state and federal courts regarding both real estate valuation and professional standards.
I offer consulting and workshops concerning valuation of conservation easements, tailored to needs of clients. Clients include land trusts (staff and board) and governments (attorneys, investigators, and other staff).
For more than 20 years, I have spoken about and taught appraisal, conservation easements and valuation of other types partial interests. A comprehensive list of this activity is available on my Summary of Professional Qualifications (just send me a message and I’ll send you a copy). I regularly provide introductory and advanced seminars and workshops at Colorado Coalition of Land Trusts, Inc. conferences, the Land Trust Alliance’s national Land Trust Rallies, and on behalf of individual land trusts and professional associations.
I am an AQB Certified USPAP Instructor, and also am approved to instruct courses for the International Right of Way Association and the Appraisal Institute.
Appraisal Review Services
I offer appraisal review services, whether or not a new opinion of value is required.
In 1995, I developed the initial appraisal review guidelines for the State Board of the Great Outdoors Colorado Trust Fund (GOCO), the entity with state constitutional authority to distribute moneys within Colorado for acquisition of parks, trails, open space and wildlife habitat. Since then, I have provided review services for GOCO, other divisions of Colorado state government, counties, municipalities, private investors, and land trusts.
Representative Appraisal , Consulting and Appraisal Review Assignments
- 150,000-acre+ mountain ranch in southern Colorado
- proposed ski resort and new base village, now never to be built, near Steamboat Springs
- 21,000-acre Greenland Ranch, the oldest continuously-operating cattle ranch along Colorado’s urbanizing front range – ten miles along both sides of Interstate Highway 25 between Denver and Colorado Springs
- tens of thousands of acres in and along the Upper and Lower Purgatory River in southern Colorado
- Colorado ranches and other property types in or near Aspen, Telluride, Steamboat Springs, Glenwood Springs, Ridgway, Ouray, Grand Junction, San Luis, Pagosa Springs, Castle Rock, Fort Collins, Agate, Walden, Carbondale, and more
- Wyoming ranches and other property types near Sheridan, Green River, Flaming Gorge Reservoir, Jackson and Saratoga
- Plains Conservation Center – appraisals in support of the relocation of an historic prairie land educational facility in Arapahoe and Elbert Counties, Colorado
- an inholding within the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in western Colorado
- 14,000 acres on the Arikaree River in eastern Colorado
- Water rights in Alabama associated with the creation of a National Preserve
- Saddleback Mountain near Rangeley, Maine – valuation of one of the few remaining private parcels containing a significant stretch of the Appalachian Trail
- Study of a National Historic ranch site in southwest Montana
- USPAP compliance issues related to allegations of legal malpractice in an eminent domain matter
- USPAP compliance issues related to allegations of appraisal standards violations in several conservation easement matters
Professional and Community Services
I serve, or have served, as a volunteer on numerous public boards and commissions relevant to my professional activities. These include
State level –
- Colorado Board of Real Estate Appraisers
- Colorado Conservation Easement Oversight Commission
Regional and Local levels –
- Cherry Creek Basin Water Quality Authority
- Douglas County Planning Commission
- Douglas County Open Space Advisory Committee
- Douglas County Libraries Board of Trustees
- Colorado Coalition of Land Trusts, Inc.
- Castle Rock Parks and Trails Foundation, Inc.